Quest for the Truth and Justice

3,800 shops destroyed in Kano Market inferno – NEMA *Police arrest 100 for looting

Posted by on Mar 28th, 2016 and filed under Business, Features, News, Top Stories. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Kano-fireThe National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said on Sunday that at least 3,800 shops were destroyed by Saturday’s fire incident at the Sabon Gari Market, Kano.

Its Director-General, Alhaji Muhammad Sani Sidi Sidi, told newsmen at the scene of the incident in Kano, that the interim assessment of the situation, indicated that more than 90 per cent of the market had been destroyed by the fire.

The director-general explained that no fewer than 15 persons sustained various degrees of injury during the incident.

He, however, said that the injured were already receiving treatment at the hospital.

He said the agency was working closely with the state government to ensure that the victims received proper treatment at the hospital.

“Assessment is still ongoing and the state government has mobilised over 100 trucks to clear the rubble,” Sidi said.

He said that lack of access roads made it slightly difficult for fire-fighting vehicles to have easy access to the market while the fire was raging.

Meanwhile, no fewer than 100 suspected looters were arrested by security agents during the fire outbreak.

The state commissioner of police, Mr Muhammad Katsina disclosed this when Governor Abdullahi Ganduje visited the market on Sunday.

He said the suspects were apprehended by security personnel deployed to the market to ensure security of lives and property following the fire outbreak.

Katsina said the suspects were arrested in different locations of the market while trying escape with their loots.

He said the suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigation was completed.

“The suspects are presently in our custody and as soon as investigation was concluded, they will be charged to court,” Katsina said.

In his remarks, the governor said the state government had taken measures aimed at preventing future occurrence.

Ganduje, who, commiserated with the victims of the disaster and commended security personnel for ensuring adequate security during the incident.

He also thanked various private companies who supported the state Fire Service in putting out the inferno.

Leave a Reply